There is a wealth of healthy children’s snack recipes online and in print. They are generally easy to make; even the children themselves can prepare them. Teaching kids the value of healthy yet delicious eating early on – and finding ways to sneak nutritious food in healthy children’s snack recipes – should help steer them away from fast food and the hazards that go with a processed food diet. Below are some of the tastiest healthy children’s snack recipes that parents have prepared and found to the liking of their kids.
Healthy Children’s Snack Recipes Ideas
1. Ants on a Log. This is one of the healthy children’s snack recipes that kids can do themselves. They just need 5 stalks of celery, ½ cup peanut butter and ¼ cup raisins. To make a ‘log’, just cut the celery stalks in half and spread with peanut butter. Then sprinkle with raisins to complete the look.
2. Apple Ladybug Treats. Healthy children’s snack recipes can indeed be fun to prepare. Another recipe that allows children to ‘play’ with their food is apple ladybug treats. The recipe calls for 2 red apples, cored and sliced in half, lengthwise; ¼ cup raisins; 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 8 thin pretzel sticks. Place apple flat side down, dab peanut butter on the back of the apples and stick raisins onto the patches of peanut butter to make them look like ladybugs. Then, use the pretzels as antennae by sticking one end into a raisin and the other end into the apples.
3. Healthy Fruity. For a quick snack power-packed with nutrients, one of the healthy children’s snack recipes is an easy-to-blend smoothie. Just combine into a blender 1 cup hulled strawberries, 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, 2 bananas peeled and cut into chunks, ½ cup orange juice, 1 ½ cups plain yogurt and one tablespoon soy milk power. Blend all ingredients until thick and smooth. The smoothies makes 4 servings.
4. Crunchy Cheese Sandwiches. One of the all-time favorites of healthy children’s snack recipes is crunchy cheese sandwiches. Kids can help cut the vegetables while mom preheats the oven’s broiler. This recipe calls for one small onion, finely chopped; one medium tomato, diced; a stalk of celery, chopped; a cup of shredded cheddar cheese; /14 teaspoon chili powder; ¼ teaspoon salt; and 4 slices of white bread. This is one of the healthy children’s snack recipes that can be made healthier by wheat bread (instead of white). Combine together all ingredients, except white bread, and stir. Arrange the slices of bread on the broiling pan or a baking sheet. Spread ¼ of the mixture on top of each and broil until cheese melts. Serve hot.
5. No-Bake Bumpy Peanut Butter Nuggets. One of the healthy children’s snack recipes that is extremely popular with kids is this no-bake goodie. You need ½ cup natural peanut butter, ¼ cup non-fat dry milk powder, ¼ cup unsweetened flaked coconut, 1/3 cup rolled oats, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ cup wheat germ, and ¼ cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate. Combine peanut butter, milk powder and coconut in a mixing bowl. Then, stir in oats, ground cinnamon, wheat germ and apple juice concentrate until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Using the mixture, make a ball of about 1 inch and chill before serving. This is one of the healthy children’s snack recipes that kids will love to play with and eat.